Tuesday, July 26, 2011

First Writing

Welcome to my blog. It is new (as of writing) and it is untried, much like your opinion of me is. To help change that unfortunate condition, why don't I tell you a little about me? Then you can form your opinions with a grain of truth behind them, and hopefully you'll understand why I am willing to share my personal thoughts and feelings on a subject that I hold so dear.

If you didn't know yet, I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know that I am writing to a generally unfriendly and opinionated group (the Internet), but I hope my sincerity and ideas are interesting enough for you to stay and consider. I don't want to ignite the fiery malice of those that troll. I don't want anybody to feel attacked by my ideas. I also don't want anybody to attack my ideas offhand. However, I do want you to consider your life and ask yourself if you have what I have, an absolute knowledge of my worth and how I can experience the love of God. Then, ask yourself if you are willing to change once you find that knowledge. I hope the answer is yes, but if you haven't been scared or offended yet, now you can get to know me.

I am at the beginning of two years during which I am voluntarily giving up many of the things that I hold dear in exchange for something more dear, the ability to serve the Lord with all my energy. For example, I enjoy video games, especially computer games. Now, I only touch a computer to communicate and share this message over the Internet. I would enjoy sleeping until I no longer felt tired. Now, I wake at a set time and have work to do the rest of the day. I want to gain all the education I can to secure opportunities in life. Now I work full-time as a missionary and have no time to learn anything that won't help me teach. I have sacrificed to be here; don't reject me as just another nerd or young ne'er-do-well. However, despite the massive way my actions have changed, I am still shaped by my past and almost the same person I used to be. I might not be playing computer games for hours a day, but I remember the fun I've had. Don't reject me as just another missionary, either. Get to know me as a person, and then get to know the message I share.

Quick rundown of me: I've enjoyed many years playing video games of various sorts. I enjoy the effects of chemistry and know a little about how it works. I like computers and the things that can be gained from them. I like sci-fi, in literature, television and movies. I care about the difference between "geek" and "nerd". I am a human with real experiences and (often) amusing quirks. As you continue to read, you will learn more about me and what I did in the two decades before I became a missionary.

Despite all this, I am also a missionary for the LDS church. I have gained, through nothing short of personal revelation, a sure knowledge of the truth of the Book of Mormon and of the prophet that leads us today. I want to share with everybody the blessings I have received from this testimony, including what I have learned about my savior Jesus Christ. I invite you to continue reading this blog with an open and curious mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...