Friday, September 2, 2011

Bike Ride

My brothers, me, and my dad at the end
I'm the type of character that thrives in a challenge. On a normal day I'd be all too happy to sit around doing nothing too hard, having fun and relaxing. However, I know that if I don't do anything I know that I won't progress, increase in ability, learn, or any of those good activities that help us achieve success. So every once in a while, when I get the chance to do something difficult, I take the opportunity so that I can become better in one way or another. One of my favorite challenges I ever did was a bike ride from Ohiopyle, PA to Washington D.C. (approx. pathway). It was over a period of a week that we (my scout troop) traveled from a small town on the Youghiogheny (which we rafted down before starting), over a continental divide, and finally finished near the Lincoln Memorial, all on bikes that weren't designed for the use or wear we put on them. The trip involved enduring the pain that comes from biking for extended periods of time (both in muscles and posture), supporting others in their difficulties, and trying to keep enough bikes for everybody in mostly working order. I don't say this to brag or anything because I know there are many more difficult things done every day, but for me and my usual stance of sitting it was a great accomplishment.

Every day in life we have opportunities, great or small. Some are chances to do a great physical feat, where we can gain exercise, experience, confidence, and stories, all of which are things I gained from my bike ride. Other times they are much smaller, perhaps holding the door open for somebody. I know that something like this rarely comes back with realizable rewards, but it does bring a small blessing into some other person's life. I also know that little things add up, and that striving for the small opportunities to do good and increase the blessings in someone's life definitely matters. The scriptures state that serving others is the way we serve God (Matthew 25:40Mosiah 2:17), so if you could make a difference, why not? Don't only look for the large opportunities to do service (like I did for exercise) but be willing to use those small opportunities to better somebody's life. After all, if I had instead been biking 5 miles each day and then went on this massive trip, not only could I have been more prepared but I also would have gained more because I was more prepared.

1 comment:

  1. I am grateful we had the change to do something so physically difficult together. Life presents a lot of challenges, and having succeeded at one thing often gives us the courage to try doing something else. It is a great memory for me to have done that with my sons.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...