Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Geeks and Games

So I've been writing a blog as a missionary for about two months, with a blog title including three G words. I've talked about the Gospel and the restored Church several times, but I have yet to cover Geeks and Games as the title warrants. Today, I hope to fix that partially by talking about myself and my thoughts.

The reason I chose the name for my blog that I did was because I thought it described me rather well. When asked what I did for fun before my mission, I often say that I was a computer geek. I like computers, working with them, and playing games on them. I know how to take a computer apart and I can fix several problems that come up under regular use. I've used a computer enough to be frustrated at slow methods other people use and I try to use every shortcut I can find. I consider myself a geek, and I do not take offense at the term. Part of my geekiness includes playing computer games of various sorts, including old school DOS games like Master of Magic, newer games such as Portal, and stranger games like Dwarf Fortress. All the while I've developed my own abilities and joys, including wrestling for high school and my current call as a missionary, neither of which are "normal" geek things to do.

That is what an in-game dwarf looks like, that
little guy on the right. Amazing graphics, right?
I am an odd individual, and I enjoy my oddness. I do not limit myself to others' expectations, and I try not to limit myself to my expectations. Improvement is the way of life, and the way we become more like Jesus. It is natural to want to be perfect right away, but it is also natural to not be perfect at all. Since this is the case, we cannot wait for our preparation to be perfect before we start our change, since there will always be something wrong. Going and doing will often get you through the learning curve faster than waiting and studying. Do not let the imperfections of today worry you away from accomplishing the partial perfection of tomorrow.

Remember, I am here to share something that can improve everybody's life. I hope that as you get to know me better, you can feel more comfortable doing what I suggest that you do. I know that The Book of Mormon can help you out, and that meeting with missionaries will start you on a path towards purest joy.

3 comments:

  1. I *love* games, but appreciate the modifier "appropriate" which we attach to the phrase "recreational activities". I'm fascinated by Dwarf Fortress, but am saddened by one of the author's statement that he'll never have a family because “I want to stay focused on the game, and if I had kids, I’d wind up paying attention to them instead.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is certainly unfortunate what some people choose to do with their lives, especially when games are involved. In an effort to not spend too much time on the negative, I don't talk about the bad extremes that some bring to games and instead I've focused on the good form of recreation that it can be. Games, of any sort, taken to an extreme are bad, just like almost any other activity. I encourage everybody to live life with a desire to do your best, which means limiting any kind of activity to reasonable use.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...