Friday, August 26, 2011

Wrestling

One of my first real moments of applying the scriptures to myself happened a few years ago, after I'd been wrestling for a while. It involved taking something I'd heard in the scriptures countless times, and applying it to something that was new in my life in a way I hadn't though of before.

I'm on the left, crossing my feet. Still need to learn.
For those that know a bit about wrestling, there are many facets of the sport that are required to be mastered before you can be even a little good, such as how to stand (stance), how to attack (shoot), how to defend (sprawl), how to win (pin or score points). The first thing that I learned was that this was going to be hard, after 45 minutes or so of near solid running during the first practice. The next thing I'm not sure, but one of the early instructions was on how to improve my stance. Stay low, stay on your toes, don't cross your feet, and keep a stiff neck. Another time I learned how to improve my defense and avoid being pinned. Control my center of gravity, stay off my back, and be ready to keep my neck stiff. With offense, the key was speed, form, and using my neck at times to control where I was going.

Do you see the common thread? During a sport like wrestling, having a strong neck will help you go where you want to go and prevent you from being subject to the wiles of your opponent. When almost on my back, I could keep going if I just had my neck rigid and keeping my shoulders off the mat. When facing somebody better on his feet than I was, if I kept my neck strong I'd be able to shrug off some of his attacks and not be whipped around by him. I was then reading in the scriptures and remembered all the times that "stiff necks"(2 Nephi 28:14) or "stiffnecked people" (Mosiah 13:29) where mentioned and condemned. Why would something so essential in one activity be condemned in religion? Because of the person we are being stiffnecked against.

In wrestling, having a stiff neck is you resisting your opponent's will and going your own direction. This is the idea and goal. In scriptures, having a stiff neck is resisting the will of God and instead striving to do your own thing. This is being prideful and will only result in frustration and humbling experiences. What we need to do is to shake our necks out, relax them for a while, and follow the directions of the prophets, both ancient and modern. As we do that we will find greater peace and ability in our lives, for we know God "will guide you into all truth" (John 16:13) and bring us happiness. I know that I've experienced my truest joy as I follow the gospel of Jesus Christ, and that you can too.

This was not my first moments of "applying" scripture to myself. I've often read 1 Nephi 3:7 and thought to myself "Yeah, I just need to go and do and the Lord will provide a way," and that is certainly a way to apply the scriptures to our lives. The next step is to see how anything we do can be related to the scriptures, and so our scripture study becomes meaningful and significant every day. I know that you can find similar mental bridges between the scriptures and yourself, and that in doing so you will find your scripture study personally significant every single day.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I remembered your comment in seminary about stiff necks, and what it meant to you. Glad you used the picture of you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...