Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Star What? Firewhy? My Take on Sci-fi

Science fiction. What does it mean to you? Does it mean stories of far off worlds, speculative guesses into mankind's future or aliens? Does it just mean Star Wars or more? Is Star Trek the only television show or does Doctor Who ring a bell through time and Firefly make you mad at Fox? Science fiction is an amazing genre, one that I've grown up with (my parents met at a certain magazine's meetings). I've read about "utopias", outright dystopias, and spaceships. I've seen classics, westerns, and giant blue people. It is a genre of speculation and adapting to circumstances. It has concepts interesting for the simple imagination, and others for their value applied to us.

As you've read through the questions in the first paragraph, you may have chuckled at recognition with some of the mentioned items, thought "why even mention that trash," or each of the things I've mentioned might be completely new to you. This is true for most genres or things that people disagree on, but as a missionary my duty is to bring the Book of Mormon to your attention. This is a book that you likewise may have good, bad, or nonexistent experience with. I tell you now, that this is a book that is true and that your previous experience doesn't matter. Instead, your future experience is what can change your life and it all starts with reading and being ready for a mighty change of heart. Trust me, my experience is not something that I could lie about.

1 comment:

  1. Science fiction isn't afraid to deal with the big questions of good and evil, life and death and is usually better at questions than answers.

    The Book of Mormon is good at answers as well as questions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...