Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Opinions and Truths

How many buttons? More than an Xbox.
One of the first things you should know about me is that I love computer games. I also enjoy other video games, but they never give the same amount of control as a computer. Two joysticks are simply not as good as a mouse and wasd, and a keyboard has so many more inputs than any controller I've ever seen; just look at it! I'm not here to step on anybody's preferences, since opinions are diverse and we are all free to have them. I know some love the two joysticks and the finesse they give, and there are many other ways to play. I can't say I've tried every game and every way to play it, but I do know what I like and you'll have a hard time convincing me to change just by listing the merits of one way or another. I will admit that I could be convinced if I was given the chance to learn and try out a different method for long enough. It's just an opinion, I can change all the time.

On the other hand, I find it hard to choose a favorite movie or a favorite game. I see a movie or play a game, and I can enjoy it quite thoroughly. However, I have learned how to analyze my entertainment with a different eye and I can find flaws in almost everything I enjoy. As such, I hesitate to call a certain movie or game my favorite because I can see its flaws and I don't want somebody to associate the flaws with what I like. I have decided certain movies are high quality, such as Toy Story (1-3) and Serenity, but these choices are conscious decisions based partly on nostalgia and a love of the genre. This means they might have less weight on you, but I have the right to base my opinion on whatever I want. Of course, if you don't like sci-fi you probably won't even give Serenity a chance, but that's okay. It's just an opinion, and it doesn't have to be based on anything.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ, however, is not an opinion to me. It is a matter of truth, even of absolute truth. Unlike how to play a game, it is true for all people of all situations, times and circumstances. Unlike a favorite movie, it doesn't matter if you like the genre or if you've studied out every little flaw and defect. I did not come to this knowledge because of lengthy testing to see if I like it more than others. I did not choose based on studying it and reasoning that it is the best. I know of this truth because I followed a simple test and found the result to be positive. Trying out a different one will not change my mind. Reasoning against me will only frustrate one of us. Likewise, ignoring me will only harm one of us. Indeed, part of knowing this truth is that you need it as well. You need the truth that can only be found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You have your agency to choose, but I know that the result of your choice is simple: "liberty and eternal life... or... captivity and death" (2 Nephi 2:27). Please, choose liberty and start by giving the Book of Mormon a chance.

1 comment:

  1. By the whisperings of the Holy Ghost we can know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the way to return to live with Heavenly Father. We can know that something is true even though we don't know the meaning of all things. The search for understanding of absolute truth is a journey. Our experiences help us refine our understanding. The truth doesn't change, but our understanding of it can change a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...